Life's a bastard...but sometimes it lets up

The life and times of an ordinary Dublin girl. Follow her journey as she finds out working from home really ISN'T about watching Oprah all day and that perhaps men aren't really all bastards.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Hey buddy, what a scoop!


I’M in need of some inspiration kids and I thought I’d ask for your help.

Following in the footsteps of the remarkable Red Mum (see the link in my sidebar there!), a Dublin newspaper has expressed an interest in me writing a column for them, based on my blog.

They seem impressed by what I’ve written so far and seem to think that their readers would also like to hear about my single life, battle with Weight Watchers and just general views on being a woman in Dublin. (I’m guessing their thinking behind it is their readers might not feel so bad about their own lives if they read about how desperate/fat/single I am, and it might provide some laughs into the bargain!)

Anyway, I’m all for it but I need to come up with some ideas for the name of the column, because, being a family newspaper I can’t call it Life’s a Bastard….and I’d rather not use Knackered Kaz either.

I’m really at a loss because I want it to be a catchy, witty, original name..not just Kaz’s Diary or anything like that (Bridget Jones beat me to that one) and Sex and the City has already been done.

I dunno…maybe Koncerning Karen? Or would people not get the deliberate alliteration and just think I can’t spell?

Overbearing, Overweight and Over here? Too much?

I’d like to come up with something to pitch them because otherwise I think it WILL end up being Karen’s Column or Karen’s Diary and I’d like something more original than that.

When I know more I'll let you know when (or if!) it's coming out and what newspaper etc but for now I'm still talking with them.

All help gratefully received! Get your thinking caps on!

13 Comments:

At 11:53 a.m., Blogger Fi said...

That is soooo exciting for you! Well done!
Ok thoughts from me on a title include:
Single in the City
The life and tales of a city girl
Trials and tribulations with Kaz.

I'll keep thinking and will hopefully do better than that later on!

 
At 12:07 p.m., Blogger KnackeredKaz said...

Thanks Fi! It's something along the lines of Single in the City that I'm thinking of!

 
At 12:26 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kaz -
Why not something like:
Oldest spinster in the parish?
Ladies who lunch.
Dublin Days
Enough is enough.

Actually these a sh*t! I'd never be a sub-editor!

This paper?Does it have echos of the Herald's "Diary"?

 
At 12:38 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Knackeredkas!

That's fantastic!

Could you be use "Life's a B!". I'm pretty sure people use that expression. (Ok probably just in America ... but that might work)

And it might get people asking where the name comes from (in the pubs where they will discuss your column at length) and then their friends will tell them - her blog is called etc etc and then more people will read your blog!

Whaddaya think?

Really chuffed for you!

Anonymous (the one who was feeling poo but all good now)- I'll get a profile soon.

 
At 1:08 p.m., Blogger Red Mum said...

Weight a minute
Sin in the city (okay okay its pants)
Life, Strife and Other Things.

Nice one on the column, thats excellent news. Sorry if my contributions are sh*t, I'll keep thinking.

 
At 2:35 p.m., Blogger KnackeredKaz said...

Wow loads of responses after lunch! Cheers!

Oldest Spinster in the Parish is good! Ok, that's one I'll think on further...and I like Weight a Minute too, I like the idea of a pun.

Good stuff class! A+ for you all! Now, keep thinking! More ideas, more I tells ya!

 
At 6:37 p.m., Blogger Pure Cork Boy said...

alaKAZam! (if only you were a magician)

Easy Single! (a bit cheesy perhaps)

KAZstrated! (my personal favourite)

Jeez, I'm just know good at this catchphrase stuff!

 
At 11:12 a.m., Blogger JL Pagano said...

"A Worthy Kaz"?

Much congrats ... hope u don't forget those of us that knew you from the beginning ;-)

 
At 2:34 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Said and Dunne?

The Dunne thing

 
At 2:46 p.m., Blogger Paige A Harrison said...

Congratulations on the column. This is brilliant news!

Calling your articles after your weight, marital status, etc might be too limiting 'cos there is every chance that these will change. Also, I think by focusing on weight, might give people the (wrong?)impression that all you think about it calories!

I'd create a personae that doesn't constrain you in anyway. Alison, Bairbre, Carol...and go with something like

"Deirdre Says..."
"The Fanshawe File"....
"Grace Full"

 
At 5:20 p.m., Blogger KnackeredKaz said...

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, it's been really helpful. Still haven't met with the editor to discuss the name or anything, but I've a load to go with now so hopefully I'll dazzle him!

I loved AlaKAZam and The Dunne Thing, but all the others were great! I hadn't a single idea in my head and now I've loads so thanks again.

Paige - I only wish I COULD take on another persona, but unfortunately they want to name me and I'm also having my photo taken for it! So this weekend will be spent beautifying myself, cutting my hair and (hopefully) losing five stone in time for the photo shoot on Monday! Otherwise, I WOULD be doing a "Deirdre says" type thing.

 
At 2:03 a.m., Blogger Steven said...

Might be a bit late but here are my contributions. You can interchange C with K if you want alliteration.

Krazy Kaz
Kaz me if you can
Can you do the Kaz Kaz?
Can you live the Kaz Kaz?
Tales of Kaz
Scales of Kaz
Kaz a lift
Kerb Kicking Kaz
Kindly Kaz
Kazerrific
Cradling Kaz's Coffee
Coffee with Kaz
Trying to Kaz a man
Kaz's Caf
Cup of Kaz

Okay that's enough for me. Ignore the awful ones. It's 2 o' clock in the morning.

My train of thought would be obvious even to a mole who was born blind and had his eyes sown shut following a freak gasoline fight accident. :-)

 
At 11:23 a.m., Blogger Paige A Harrison said...

"Coffee with Kaz", is an excellent choice. I know I'd read anything that encouraged me to share an espresso!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics

CounterData.com

google adwords professionals
google adwords professionals Counter