Life's a bastard...but sometimes it lets up

The life and times of an ordinary Dublin girl. Follow her journey as she finds out working from home really ISN'T about watching Oprah all day and that perhaps men aren't really all bastards.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

When I'm wrong, I'm wrong....and other stories


I’M starting to like the rickety old scale in our bathroom. I know in the past I spoke about how I hated it and how weight varied depending on where on the floor you put it and how I wanted to fling it from the window to the furthest point possible.

But I’ve had a change of heart.

When I’m wrong, I’m wrong.

Standing gingerly on the scale this morning (shoes and all, as per WW requirements) it APPEARS that I have lost weight, though my official weigh-in isn’t til tonight on the proper electronic scales.

I’m not going to say how much it looks like I’ve lost in case the scale is in fact decrepit and I’ve actually put on weight…but I’m quietly confident that tonight’s figures will show a loss. I’ll keep you posted.

And now for something completely different (does that joke EVER get old?!)

I was reading in the Irish Times this morning (alright already, it was the Herald AM) how a new survey has shown that single and middle-aged men are the happiest people in Ireland.

How about that now?

The survey says that the average age for men to marry in the Republic of Ireland is 34 and their reasons for waiting until they are that bit older is because they want to “spend money and time on their own leisure habits” until they are “absolutely ready” to settle down. Ergo, while they’re living the life of Reilly (lucky duck that Reilly) they’re happier.

Middle aged and older men are happier because in the main their mortgage payments have ceased and they’re earning more money than they were when they were younger, so have more disposable cash to spend on fast cars, loose women and Just For Men*.

*I may or may not have made that last bit up*

I think I might start taking a leaf out of men’s books as they obviously have the right idea. According to this survey, these men live the high life, enjoy themselves, travel the world and THEN start thinking about settling down. It’s not that they never get married, they do, it’s just not top of their agenda and apparently, they’re happier for it.

As a woman (and I’m not speaking for all women here, just myself) I know that marriage or settling down isn’t exactly top of my agenda, but it is high up there. I do want a boyfriend, partner, husband, soulmate – call it what you will and I would like to meet him earlier on in life rather than later. But maybe if I ‘make like a man’ and do all the other stuff I want to do first, the rest will just slot into place? I don’t know if that’s feasible, but it’s something to think about anyway!

On the other hand, I can’t see HOW it would all just slot into place as I seem to have trouble meeting decent men, no matter what I do or don’t do. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

Now, how does everyone feel about speed dating?

Pic: www.bbc.co.uk

6 Comments:

At 11:41 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant play about speed dating called Tick My Box. You should see it when it comes back to Dublin. Very funny. http://www.inistheatre.com/tour.htm

 
At 12:06 p.m., Blogger JL Pagano said...

When I was single my idea of a speed date was "Pick you up at 7, we'll be in bed by 7:30". Does that make me a typical bloke? Yeah, guess it does.

 
At 12:12 p.m., Blogger KnackeredKaz said...

LOL JL. No, that doesn't make you a typical bloke, that makes you a slut! (Joke, peace peace)

 
At 9:23 p.m., Blogger Steven said...

I think that us men don't think about it as much. I think about it more than most but I don't have a plan or a method to meet the 'one'.

I just am planning my life in a broad sense and living it the rest of the time. Being honest I'm happy out.

When I do think about my lack of a girlfriend I tend to get a small bit depressed given that my potential market is so tiny but I'm only 21 and there's loads of time yet.

There's also the whole "Why isn't Rinceoir with someone yet?" that apparently features as a regular topic of conversation among certain sections of my female friends.

Speed dating- I might do it for a laugh to see how many hits I got but I would never consider it as a serious way to meet people.

 
At 9:24 p.m., Blogger Steven said...

Also,

WELL DONE ON LOSING WEIGHT!!

My Mum is a Weight Watchers Leader so I have a small idea of what you're going through.

 
At 12:23 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree - I am an Aussie and I was getting a bit stressed out - all my friends were in relationships or married with children and being the only single one was horrible (Rinceoir, its MUCH worse when you are a woman)!

So I packed up and came over to London (which btw, sucks - i spend as much time in Dublin as I can afford to as the Irish are lovely) and I am now loving my life - I have learnt so much and made so many plans and if i meet a guy before I get everything done that I want to do, well, he is welcome to come along for the ride but life is too short and I have put my plans on hold for men too many times in the past.

I was weak to do it and weak to allow myself to be controlled by social conventions (ie. - 'Must have a man to be worthwhile / boyfriend is worth more then personal happiness / give up your dreams to keep the peace).

Finally, at the age of 27 (Ack!) I know what i want and where I am going and now that i have sorted myself out my career has started to fall into place as well.

I don't want a man who is so uncertain of his own masculinity that he needs me to be weak and unsure of what i want in order to make him feel better.

Its taken me this long to realise what most men simply do - take time for yourself.

Until you are happy and fulfilled, what do you have to offer a partner anyway? I live by that rule now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics

CounterData.com

google adwords professionals
google adwords professionals Counter