Life's a bastard...but sometimes it lets up

The life and times of an ordinary Dublin girl. Follow her journey as she finds out working from home really ISN'T about watching Oprah all day and that perhaps men aren't really all bastards.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Help me Jebus, the sequel...


There is a box lurking in the boiler room of my office that haunts me.

It's just an ordinary large cardboard box now, not a box of embarrassing 'glamour' shots, or a box of women's 'down there' creams, or a box of various dead relative's bones or anything, it's just a box.

But it's a box containing all the paper and bits and pieces I've accumulated in the past seven years that I've worked for my newspaper that I haven't been able to throw out. And it's bursting at the seams.

I leave on March 22 and somehow I don't think that's going to be enough time to sort through all the stuff in that box and in my desk. I don't want to just throw everything out, what if I need it?

I haven't needed it in seven years, but I know, just as I commit the entire thing to the nice man who does the recycling round our way that I'll remember a vital telephone number sitting in the bottom of the box and it'll be too late. And it'll turn out to be a telephone number that could have made me rich, rich I tells ya, with a perfect figure and a submissive husband, but no, I'll have chucked it in the Green Bin. And with it, my future.

So I think I'm going to have to sit down and leaf through every single bit of paper and message slip to make sure I don't throw away my golden ticket. I dread to think what I'll look like at the end of it; think Tom Hanks in Castaway!

Apart from all the 'getting ready for my new life, e-mailing everyone I've ever talked to as a journalist, cleaning my desk and generally freaking out' life has been pretty tame for me recently, hence the lack of posts. Thanks to everyone who asked about my welfare (well, stamped their foot and pouted 'where are the funny posts').

I also fear that just like Paige over at Blank Paige, I have writers block, or it could just be that I'm actually quite boring and have nothing much to report. Personally I prefer the former, sounds more glamorous doesn't it?

The photos came back of my gorgeous niece's christening and once again my single state was practically beaming back at me from the snaps.

Mammy Dunne didn't help much with her running commentary as she looked at the photos, to whit:

"Oh look now there's the baby and her Mammy...and John and Marie, and Emer and Vern, and Brian and Mary, and Christine and Ivan...oooh and there's you Karen....your dress is nice?"

Yes, did you notice the lack of my significant other in that sentence? It seems everyone at the christening was all loved up and couply and there was me in my "nice dress".

I think I'm just going to have to grin (perhaps gin?) and bear it though, but I sure as hell ain't getting into any more photographs!

Pic: http://www.pacific-paper-products.com/nss-folder/pictures/box2.jpg

6 Comments:

At 11:29 p.m., Blogger Paige A Harrison said...

Welcome back! You've sussed me out - I tried to call my boring lack of anything to say - "writer's block" as it sounds more glam.

On the bright side, at least your dress looked well!
Paige

 
At 1:11 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always happy to see a Simpsons reference.

Sorry to hear there are no 'glamour shots' though. I'd say copy the data intp a soft copy onto your computer and throw out the stuff in the box.

 
At 5:50 p.m., Blogger KnackeredKaz said...

Thanks guys.

Paige: Me thinks it'll be the dress I'll be wearing to the Blog Awards! If I go! Though it's sounding like more fun by the minute. Have you decided if you're going or not yet?

 
At 2:06 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right; gin is most definetly the way forward ;)

 
At 9:11 a.m., Blogger Paige A Harrison said...

I've a good friend flying into Dublin on Sat night for the weekend. I've been trying to persuade her to extend her stay without luck. Have to be sober for pick up at 7:30pm. So doesn't look like I'll be able to join the party. I got the most fab figure hugging number on the off chance that there is a major air traffic controller strike. Where is SIPTU when you need them?

 
At 3:10 p.m., Blogger Cat said...

Ah, I'm sure your frock was lovely though, and at least there wouldn't have been any baby sick on it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics

CounterData.com

google adwords professionals
google adwords professionals Counter